By applying agency management experience that he has been gained over 25 years working in and running agency divisions and network agencies (Fleishman-Hillard, Weber Shandwick and Ketchum) and his own firm for a decade Richard is able to rapidly identify and address agency management and growth issues.
Richard dealt with a very wide range of management challenges during his agency career, including merging three agencies to create a new firm, divisional and agency turn rounds, and the launch of an agency from scratch.
The advice and insights that he brings make a measurable difference and motivate both MDs and leaderships teams. Combined with this is a tight focus on the practical Richard does not come with a fixed idea on how to address an issue but applies approaches and methodologies that are tailored and specific for each individual agency.
Much of Richard’s work focuses on the seven main levers of agency growth:
· Purpose – what gets you out of bed in the morning – why your agency exists?
· People – having the right people in the right jobs
· Proposition and marketing – a proposition that brings your purpose to life, marketed with passion and focus and avoiding being a ‘vanilla agency’
· Client handling - service innovation and delivery processes that reduce over-servicing and demonstrate value
· New business – winning that pitch
· Financials – actionable information to allow for informed planning and decision making
Richard is working currently with agency heads to deal with the impact of Covid-19 on how they operate their business, how they manage their teams, win new business and service clients in rapidly evolving 'new normal'.
Richard is Chair of Trustees for the Will Houghton Foundation (WHF), supporting charities who are helping young people, aged 14-24 to reach their potential through education and sport.
A passionate waterman, Richard spends as much time as he can stand-up paddle boarding, windsurfing and open water swimming. He is a qualified windsurfing and paddleboard instructor.